Title: Trainee Housing Intern
Department: Academic Programs and Biomedical Sciences
Hours per Week: To be decided
Job Summary: Under the direction of the Education Coordinator, Intern will be responsible for the general administration and oversight of the temporary housing units. This will include, but not be limited to, the everyday administration and oversight of the apartments in coordination with the staff in Academic Programs and the management at Uptown Square Apartments. Intern will be responsible for integrating single projects into the master plan. Resource allocation and inventory management will be key components of the internship and intern will learn related purchasing processes. The intern will also be responsible for the visibility and advertisement of the housing units via the St. Jude intranet and internet and develop ideas for enhancing current practices, to include launching a customer satisfaction survey for the tenants. The intern will cross train with other areas/units in Academic Programs and provide support to projects which parallel this position including: National Graduate Student Symposium, Pediatric Oncology Program, Paris VII Program, University of Bath Program, UT student rotations and lab scheduling, and professional development for the Postdoctoral Fellows to assess trainee/guest housing needs and assist with housing assignments.
1. Determines housing needs, and maintains and implements structures to support the needs.
a. Identifies trainee housing needs to include units required, dates needed, and housing available.
b. Maintains and updates all housing leases and coordinates all related logistics operations. c. Develops an overall project plan for trainee housing.
d. Creates and maintains a Frequently Asked Questions brochure/section on the website.
e. Develops and administers a Customer Satisfaction Survey to evaluate current processes.
2. Determines all housing support functions needed for each program area and establishes aggregate month by month requirements.
- Develops project planning data, timelines, milestones, and critical path planning related to each project.
- Serves as a liaison with all program directors and department administration to assist with budget development and requests for staff support.
a. Interacts with faculty, staff, students, St. Jude Immigration Services Office, and outside/community entities in facilitating program objectives.
- Oversees staff temporarily assigned to assist with housing processes and projects.
- Audits housing activities and prepares documents for compliance with both St. Jude Institutional and Academic Programs (APO) departmental policies.
a. Ensures all housing documents are complete, current, and archived appropriately.
- Performs other related duties as assigned or directed to meet the goals and objectives of the department and the Institution.
Minimum Education Required:
· Graduate level student; preferably in the area Leadership and Policy Studies with a concentration in Student Personnel.
· Work experience in a customer service related or business environment is desirable.
Minimum Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities Required:
· Experience with project management, implementation, and reporting.
· Skills and abilities to handle and prioritize multiple tasks and assignments.
· Ability to work with a wide range of constituencies in a complex environment. · Strong oral and written communication skills.
· Ability to communicate with people from diverse backgrounds. · Ability to compose reports and other business communications.
· Excellent computer skills using Microsoft Office applications with extensive knowledge of Pivot table a plus. Project Management or Visio software knowledge desirable.
· Skill and ability to work independently and successfully in stressful situations.
· Reasoning ability, strong concentration skills, attention to detail, and ability to analyze and apply accurate judgment to complex issues. · Budgeting and financial management skills/experience helpful. · Excellent interpersonal skills.
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
· Regularly required to stand, walk, sit, kneel, use fingers/hands, and talk and hear. · Employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
· Specific vision abilities required by this internship include close vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
· Must have valid driver’s license and be able to provide transportation to St. Jude and to and from Uptown Square Apartments as needed.
· $10-12 an hour.
· Internship does not constitute a contract of employment, nor does it provide benefits.
· Intern must show proof of immunizations required by St. Jude. · Intern must provide proof of medical insurance.
· Intern must provide statement of financial responsibility.
· Intern’s acceptance is contingent upon a background investigation, including a criminal background check and a drug screen. · Intern is required to attend a mandatory orientation at St. Jude.
Kathy Tuberville, MS, SPHR
Ed.D Candidate, Organizational Leadership
Office of Academic Internships
University of Memphis
Memphis, TN 38152